Bluangel's Scribbles

Thursday, March 19, 2009

I-57 Dragstrip

It was the first time I had ever been to this track .. as if I've been to other tracks.


We went in late October and it was a beautiful day. We had been so home bound for months, taking that long drive was recharging. The scenery, along the drive was simple pastoral farmland dotted with two story farm houses hidden among a few trees and then surrounded by huge agricultural fields of corn .. The Midwest splendor. Autumn in the Midwest is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen .. some years are better than others. Last year the summer dry spell caused the leaves to quickly turn brown instead of the vivid bright colors associated with that time of year. I remember taking boat runs up the Missouri river the same time of year and the treeline of each side of the river was just hypnotizing in its charming solemnity.

Back to drag racing and the smell of burning tires .. this dragstrip is in a small town called Benton where you enter a town square and drive in a circle until the road you want comes around. It reminded me of a small town back home called Athens, where years ago, the main businesses were established around the square, its no longer that way .. Walmart moved in.

As we passed the town's drug store, the sign out front was advertising 'vomit bags' .. I wanted to stop and take a picture of it, but being in the square and all, we were caught up in the traffic flow and didn't want to slow the pace. I can't believe they were advertizing puke bags, and "why" for goodness sakes .. ???

I-57 is the place to hook up and hang out, as they say .. its a short track (1/8 mile) for OUTLAWS and grudge matches, test & tune allowed.

This is what I loved about it .. the track on each side is lined with big trees. This is where the racers park. It reminds you of camp grounds. On the other side they have small open air bleachers, and again, protected by tall trees. Summertime is drag racing season, it gets HOT! If we return and I think we are, I'm packing a lounge chair, goodies to eat and drink and will park my butt on top of the trailer, sit back and enjoy.

The second trip we took was a little different, this time our travel took place in November and that day was colder than a well digger's butt. I stayed inside the truck the entire time except for the few trips I made to the track to shoot some pictures of the guys.











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home